Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Princess Scrapper is A FINE Example



We started something new at the house last week. For the record it was my Jimmy's idea. We decided to try and offset some of the "negative parental feedback" (also known as hounding, criticizing, nagging, and occasionally--by a mother who will remain anonymous--huffing) with something constructive and positive. Actually, the first recipient of the "FINE Example award" sort of set this all into motion.

Meet Leah. She is the family princess. Adorable, as you can see, and unique in every way possible. She is the most maternal and sweet natured of my children....




UNTIL....she feels she's been wronged and then she turns into this:



So a couple weeks ago she got sent to bed for beating up her older sister (this is one tough princess, people!) whereupon she proceeded to exclaim a sordid variety of outbursts one of which included, "I HATE Mom!" (Don't feel too sorry for me. I'm not the type who goes to puddles over a dramatic six-year-old. I know she loves me.) This declaration was followed by many loud crashing sounds coming from her bedroom upstairs. Jimmy went up, I stayed down. (Because frankly, I can outmatch her fits any day of the week and I wanted to avoid that pretty little demonstration!)


So, to break this down a little, Leah's infarctions included:

1. Breaking Fine Family Rule Number One: She didn't show respect and
2. Breaking Fine Family Rule Number 54679: She threw a fit.


The punishment from Dad: Nothing sweet comes out of your mouth, nothing sweet goes in it. Grounded from treats for a week (including after school snack...do I hear another back pack post coming? Oh dear me!).
Anyways, as always I forgot about the incident the next morning. I was making her lunch and asked if she wanted a cookie. Nope, she reminds me. "I can't have that stuff 'till Saturday, remember?"

And so for the rest of the week she faithfully reminds her forgetful mother that she is grounded from all sugary treats and I was way impressed. I told Jimmy about it and he decided to institute the "FINE Example award" and presented her with a candybar during a special family awards ceremony to commend her on showing exceptional * INTEGRITY *
So now we're on the lookout for more "FINE Examples" illustrated in the family and you should see how the kids straighten up their behavior when I say, "I'm looking for a FINE Example...."


Ahhh...I love our last name!

6 comments:

Holly said...

Love this post! Good job Leah! My kids totally would have taken advantage of their forgetful mother. This is a really great idea, I just might have to try it out myself. I love this "FINE" family. Yeah, its a cool last name to have.

Shalene said...

What a good idea...way to go leah!! It is fun to have something to make you look for those good things that are happening and to be able to reward them on it.

Sturgmom said...

What a great idea!! "Nothing sweet comes out of your mouth, nothing sweet goes in." LOVE IT!!!!

Mechelle said...

that's awesome that they can be so rational. Way to go on the teaching front. It is quite impressive that Leah stuck to her punnishment even when Mom forgot. :)

Rachel said...

I love it Trish! You guys are always coming up with the most clever ideas to promote family harmony!

Tori Orgill said...

Love IT!! You are too cute and what a clever husband!! I love his ideas!!