Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Repairing Holes

First of all I want to mention a giveaway going on right now over at Xazmin's in honor of her 100th post. They are some way cute homemade personalized blocks...this lady is so crafty! Go check it out!

Okay, so I'm participating in Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop again this week. The prompt:

**Today I will....**

Today I will rejoice in the fact that the hole in my wall is now gone.

There has been an unsightly hole in the wall behind our front door for...oh, a long time. Originally we had a door guard on the wall for protection against this type of thing...you know, when the door gets shoved open and the knob slams into your wall. Well, the guard fell off and I'd been bugging Jimmy we'd been meaning to fix it for months but kept putting it off. Finally the inevitable happened and one of the kids jerked the door open and BANG...a dent in the wall.

"We need to fix that!" I kept nagging reminding Jimmy but it never happened. After a while of repeated door bangings the dent became a hole, then eventually a giant gastly gash.

I hated looking at that gaping blackness against my wall. It was such an eyesore. It was a constant reminder of something that needed to be fixed but I was waiting for Jimmy to do it. In an effort to make myself feel better I painted the walls in that room, hoping it would help. It didn't. In fact, against the freshly painted clean walls the hole in the wall stood out even more.

Today I repaired it myself. I went to Lowes and purchased a repair kit, some compound, a scrapper thingy, some spray texture and in less than an hour the hole was gone. I'm no professional and you can definitely see the imperfections of my work but I don't even care. That ugly, haunting jagged gash is gone.

Yesterday I fixed another hole I had but this wasn't the gash-in-the-sheetrock type. It was the wounded heart kind. After weeks and weeks of carrying hurt feelings and bitter thoughts about a person who at one point had been one of my closest friends, I decided it was time to repair it. Because no matter how much I tried to improve other areas of my life, the fact remained that I had an eyesore in my heart and it was staring me in the face. It seemed like the longer I dwelled on it and kept looking at it, the bigger and bigger it was growing.

But shouldn't she try to make it better? Shouldn't she have to fix it? I kept justifying to myself. Afterall, I was wounded, too. But just wishing and waiting was not working. So completely out of the blue yesterday, I had an urge to picked up the phone and just dial her number. I didn't know what I was going to say. How do you go about repairing a mess of emotions? But to my great happiness and relief she was as willing to move forward as me and in less than an hour the hole in my heart was gone.

Like the wall behind my front door, our relationship isn't exactly the same as it was before it was damaged, but that ugly, haunting, blackness is repaired and I can finally feel real peace.

14 comments:

Tori Orgill said...

You are so amazing! I love you!

Holly said...

Dido!

Emily said...

you are such a great example! I feel better just reading that, and I didn't even have the hole in my heart (or wall). However, I am painting a rather terrible looking wall this weekend, so I'm looking forward to joining you inj that little housework adventure!

Xazmin said...

Thanks for sharing that story. It's hard to be the one to start the repair process, especially when we feel it may be someone elses job.

I'm proud of you.

As for the wall...I've learned that I pretty much have to take the bull by the horns myself when I want something fixed these days!

Not that my husband doesn't do SO MUCH for us, but these little things seem to slip through the cracks!

Gina said...

Not sure I would be strong enough to repair any heart holes, but I do need to pick up a door stopper for where the garage door hits the bathroom door trim. We are getting a lock-sized dent....

Summer said...

Okay, look who is an amazing writer?!? This as awesome...I loved the way you brought the two together. Amazing.

Amy said...

What a great post. I really enjoyed reading it. I have had a couple of those holes in the heart that just keep growing. I always feel so relieved when they finally get fixed. Thanks for the good read and thanks for stopping by and commenting. Thursdays are my busiest day and it hasn't quite started the way I planned ( i should do an update!) Stop back by and read our other prompt if you get a chance.

Shalene said...

it is always nice to get things like that out of the way and taken care of....otherwise that is all you think about till you do...good for you...and great job on the hole in the wall.... :)

jennykate77 said...

That always feels so good to get things out in the open and forgive and mend fences. I don't have anything like that to fix, but I do have a hole in my wall by my stairs...and you've totally inspired me to just fix it myself. Like you I have nagged and begged, but to no avail. I'm thinking fixing the hole is my weekend DIY project. Thanks!

Hope you have a fabulous Friday!!

Tanielle said...

That was an awesome post!!! Glad both holes were able to be repaired!! You are an amazing person!

Rachel said...

Once again, you show us all what being a true disciple of the Lord is all about!

Rachel said...

That is such an awesome post!!!!!!!!! I loved reading that, you have such a fabulous perspective!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

That is a great phrase: an eyesore in my heart. Congrats on the peace, as well as your award!
:)

Unknown said...

Visiting from Mama Kat's! Your post really touched my heart today. I commend you for taking that step with your friend, I have a friendship that needs some mending too. She did the hurting, and it REALLY hurt. I have forgiven her but our relationship is still strained and we haven't seen one another for over a year and a half. I think it might be time to work this out. Thanks for your post. You have a beautiful family!