I ran across this idea on the internet a few months back and knew I had to do it. I love the idea of having a garden. I loathe the idea of spending hours in it weeding and watering and sloshing through mud. Check out the Square Foot Gardening website for more details.
Jimmy assembled the boxes for me. (pretend like my backyard is not messy or grass-free)
Picking out the "Mel's Mix" (a combination of vermiculite, compost, and peatmoss) was actually like
We have tomatoes, snap peas, cabbage, green chili, bell peppers, jalapeno, cabbage, and the empty squares will be my green bean plants. (Looks like they are just coming up...see them peeking through? Hello, little green beans!)
This is a fantastic idea for anyone who doesn't want to mess with rototilling, weeding, and irrigating. We still have to make trellis walls for our tomotoes to crawl up but other than that, it's pretty maintenance-free.
It's a small start this year (just three boxes) but it's been fun putting the square gardening method to the test and so far...I really like it!
5 comments:
That is wonderful to try the square foot garden. We live in Arizona. Our season starts in February and ends mid summer. We have a second growing season that starts in the fall. I will probably do the planter boxes next year. This year we took advantage of a Ward garden and learn a lot from this experience with the AZ climate. This was very different from what I did in WA state.
what a great idea! (Also, similar to Gayle, I also live in Arizona. It was great to read her tips as well!)
Great idea! You will have lots of yummy veggies to eat and can:)
Great idea....we did a flower bed garden this year since we have no grass in the back(all patio and pool)and we are loving it. Already gotten some tomatoes and banana peppers and waiting on bell peppers and cucumbers!!!!
It is so fun to watch it grow...
Best of luck! We have our first garden this year too. It has been fun to see our vegetables growing. I am learning a lot of patience and I know the wait will be worth it.
Post a Comment