It's supposed to be Writer's Workshop Wednesday (yes, I KNOW it's already Thursday) but I'm going to play along anyways because I love these things!
The prompt: Tell about a time you hurt somebody that still bothers you today.
That was a toughie for me. Not because there hasn't been a time I have hurt somebody but because it's hard to choose just one. There have been times within the last year that I have foolishly hurt people and regret the role I played in it. But it's so much easier to talk about the past...like the way, way distant past...so that's where I'm heading.
I was 14(ish). All the young women in the ward were singing a special number in sacrament meeting that we had been practicing for weeks on. We all march up the steps to the stand and take our places and begin the song. I was standing next to my best friend, Rachel. Everything is fine for about 10 seconds and then one of the Beehives (a 12-year-old girl) begins to really belt it out. Loud. The problem: she was absolutely tone deaf. It sounded so bad. At first Rachel and I exchange glances and try to conceal our smiles. Then we start pinching eachother's hands in a crazy effort not to laugh. Because to a couple of immature 14-year-olds the whole thing was absolutely hilarious. Finally it becomes all to much and we erupt into a fit of giggles no matter how hard we were trying not to. Thankfully the song eventually ended but that was just the beginning of it for me. After the meeting was over a tall, blonde, outspoken woman stalked Rachel and me out to the hallway where she cornered us and I'll never forget the encounter that followed.
"You girls should be ashamed of yourselves! Everyone in the congregation knew what you were laughing at. I can't believe that you would behave that way. You should know better!"
And we should have. We hurt that poor girl's feelings. A girl who was a little "off" anyways and probably dealt with being made fun of on a regular basis. I went home and wrote about the experience in my journal and to this day regret that I couldn't understand the situation for what it was. She was just another girl like me who was on the stand that day singing a song to show her love and faith in the Lord. Except unlike me, at least her heart was in the right place.
Free Access :: Gotti 2018 Online Stream Free
6 years ago
19 comments:
Young girls can be mean sometimes.. I know I definitely had my moments. Great post.
Oh, and thanks for visiting my blog!!
thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!!
Ouch. As children, (heck as adults)sometimes we can't help ourselves, even if it is wrong. If something is funny it is funny. You made a mistake, I am sure that you learned from it.
We all have things that we wish we could take back. I know I do! It helps us help our own children be better people!
Isn't it funny that the harder we try not to laugh, the harder it is to control? I've been there...
Heather's M
As hard as it is, sometimes you just can't help but laugh. A good lesson you learned though.
What is it about being 14? I think all 14 year old girls are mean. Come read my mean 14 year old story!
We've all been there...on both sides probably. Coming by to say welcome to the SITS community.
I'm glad you can at least blame that kind of thing on your age of 14. In all honesty, I am over 30 (barely) and could so see myself doing that now! How sad is that?! Of course, not with the intention of hurting the other person, but because some things are JUST FUNNY!
Hello, visiting from SITS. Have a great day.
There are so many situations I would love to change in the past. All I can do is make sure I try to explain how to be a good person to my son. My parents were never really the sit down and talk kind. That was a very thoughtful post.
Just wanted to welcome you to the SITS community. I hope you enjoy it and get a chance to make great connections with others!
It was So good of you to stop by my blog today. THANK YOU!
All the better because...your kind comment led me to your blog. HSo loverly! Look how CUTE your kids are! A quick story...I was in the temple last month with some friend who were being sealed to their family. It was such an incredible day. Most of our ward was there in the sealing room, waiting for them all to arrive. So, I look across the room at my good friend who had broken her foot, and one of the sweet temple workers had brought in a crocheted-kleenex-box-cover and put it around her foot, to cover her cast. The two of us started giggling (silently) so hard that I looked like I was convulsing, tears poured down cheeks, and everyone else in the room started to snicker. It was SUCH a sacred time, and here we were uncontrollably-whisper-laughing. Good gracious! I suppose the greatest blessing was...neither of us snorted out loud. A true miracle, indeed.
In other words...you're not alone. Those giggles just sometimes get you.
Keep up the beautiful bloggin' and feel free to stop by anytime!
Happy Weekend!
Unfortunately laughing is contagious at times; kind of like yawning. Too bad it had to happen at a moment like that and you've carried it with you all these years.
I came by to welcome you to SITS. I know that you will enjoy being a part of this wonderful community. Lots of inspiration and support from all the lovely SITStas :-)
carma
wow. That was... profound.. I think. (It's late here and I'm tired lol. words are escaping me at the moment) I wonder if you could find that girl and apologize.. if you can't, why not write an open letter of apology to her on your blog. Maybe she'll read it, maybe she wont, but it may provide closure for you, so you don't feel so bad about what happend.
Just dropped in to give you a warm SITS welcome!
I do the writer's workshop every week, too! This was a good one!
Welcome to SITS!
I think we've all been there. My goal this year is to see people through the Lords eyes. To see them as he would. We all have our own story and he made us all unique yet loves us just the same..
I think back to times when I hurt others like that and since I cannot go back and make it better - I just try to be better myself. You have clearly managed to do that.
We do childish things as children, but learn from them... thanks for sharing your story.
I'm also here to welcome you to SITS. It is a great blog that opens the door to a world of new friends. Have fun.
I am hosting a giveaway...check it out if you have the time.
Have a great weekend!!!
I have been here before BUT i wanted to come and officially welcome you to SITS!!
you are going to love the SITStahood!!
AND come enter my FABULOUS giveaway too…so much fun stuff happening in the SITStahood!
I’m L-O-V-I-N-G it!!
Post a Comment